Enrollment and renewal in the Dental Blue plan is not automatic. Cancellation for a refund is not permitted after the effective date of coverage. To enroll in dental coverage for the current academic year, contact us.
Deadlines and Effective Dates of Coverage
|Open enrollment fall term||June 1 - September 30|
|Coverage period||August 1 - July 31|
|Open enrollment spring term||July 1 - February 28|
|Coverage period||February 1 - July 31|
To qualify for spring term enrollment you must meet one of these criteria:
- New incoming Harvard student starting in the spring term
- Returning from a fall term leave of absence
- A life changing event
Applications received after the enrollment deadline(s) will only be processed with either:
- A life changing event (supporting documentation required); or
- Confirmation that the application was submitted prior to the deadline
- Harvard students
- Extension School students and their dependents (student must be participating in the dental plan, and must submit the enrollment form to the Extension School)
- Affiliates are not eligible to participate in this dental plan
Dependents can be added during open enrollment or with a life changing event when the student is enrolled. There is an additional fee to add dependents. Enrollment and/or renewal is not automatic (for students or their dependents).
Documentation is required for each family member enrolled in the dental plan.
- Married spouse
- Dependent children (under the age of 26)
The Student Health Insurance Plan (BCBSMA) includes a dental benefit for members under the age of 19. Compare the BCBSMA dental benefits to this optional Dental Blue plan to make an informed decision about enrolling.
- Complete and submit the dental application (with required documentation, if applicable) to Member Services. Extension students should submit their application to the Extension School.
- Member Services receives and processes your application.
- The cost of the plan is applied to your student bill.
- ID cards are mailed to the address on file with your school Registrar.
We require documentation for each family member enrolled in the dental plan. Documents must be in English and are only required for initial enrollment (and are not necessary when you renew dependents for subsequent terms). The Harvard Student Agency is a non-profit certified translation agency that can provide you with certified translations in 18 languages.
- Married spouse: marriage certificate or I20 form for international students
- Dependent children: Birth certificate, legal documentation of adoption or guardianship, or DS-2019 form for international students
Submit your completed dental application and documentation (if required) to:
HUSHP Member Services
75 Mt. Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Extension School student should return their application to the Extension School.
Charges are applied to your student bill for the full amount. The charges may not appear on your student bill for several weeks after the start of coverage. Monthly coverage is not available.
Rates for Plan Year August 1 - July 31
|Student + 1 dependent||$905/year|
|Student + 2 or more dependents||$1,398/year|
Benefits and Coverage
This plan has a $1,500 plan-year maximum and includes a maximum rollover benefit that allows for additional dollars for future plan years.
- Dental Blue Benefits Summary
- HUSHP BCBS Dental Summary for members under the age of 19 and enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan
|Preventive Benefit Group||Basic Benefit Group||Major Benefit Group|
|No Deductible||$50 per member/$150 per Family Plan Year Deductible||
$50 per member/$150 per Family Plan Year Deductible
|Full Coverage||60% Coverage||40% Coverage|
Please note: Orthodontics is not a covered benefit under this plan. For more detailed coverage information, including restrictions, review the Benefits Summary or contact Blue Cross Blue Shield at 1 (800) 257-8141 and reference group number 002348115.
As a member of the Student Dental Plan, you are eligible to receive convenient on-campus care through the Harvard Dental Service or from any dentist who participates in the BCBS Dental Blue network. Dental Blue members also have the freedom to seek care from out-of-network providers; however you may be balance billed for any difference between the dentist’s actual charge and the allowed charge, whichever is less.
|Harvard Dental Service||In-network care at the Harvard Dental Service (located on campus in the Smith Campus Center)|
|HSDM Dental Clinic||In-network care at the HSDM Dental Clinic (located on campus in the Longwood Medical area)|
|Dental Blue Network||Access a network of over 6,000 Dental Blue provider locations in Massachusetts and Rhode Island; and 103,000+ DenteMax credentialed provider locations nationwide|
Find a network Dentist
You should receive dental care from providers who participate in the BCBS Dental Blue network in order to receive the highest level of coverage.
Harvard Dental Service
114 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge
Schedule an appointment by calling (617) 495-2063
HSDM Dental Clinic
Longwood Medical area
Schedule an appointment by calling (617) 432-1434
Dental Blue network
Search online at findadoctor.bluecrossma.com
Select “Dental Blue” network to find a provider in Massachusetts or Rhode Island
Select "Dentemax Network of Dentists" to find a provider nationwide
You may also call Blue Cross Blue Shield at 1 (800) 257-8141 and reference group number 002348115.
LIFE CHANGING EVENTS
Students can enroll in the dental plan after the open enrollment deadline(s) with a life changing event. We are unable to process applications received after the open enrollment deadline without a life changing event. Students can submit documentation within 30 days of the life changing event along with a completed enrollment form to Member Services. The coverage and cost are pro‐rated to the first day of the month of the event. Students may enroll dependents due to a life changing event only when the student is already enrolled.
- Legal adoption or legal guardianship: Legal documentation of adoption or guardianship, or DS-2019 form for international students
- Marriage: Marriage certificate or I20 form for international students
- Dependent entry into the country: A copy of the dependet's passport with the entry date stamped for when the dependent arrived into the United States
- Other dental insurance coverage ending: A copy of insurance termination letter
We are unable to cancel your dental enrollment for a refund after the effective date of coverage. You must submit your cancellation request prior to the start of coverage. Once coverage begins, we are unable to process a refund, and you may not appeal this policy.