If you have a life changing event you may be eligible to enroll. Please contact Member Services.
Enrollment and renewal in the Dental Blue plan is not automatic. Cancellation for a refund is not permitted after the effective date of coverage.
|Fall Term||Spring Term*|
June - September 30
January - February 28
|Effective dates of coverage:
August 1 - July 31
|Effective dates of coverage:
January 1 - July 31
*To qualify for spring term enrollment you must meet one of these criteria:
- New incoming Harvard student starting in the spring term
- Returning from a fall term leave of absence
- A life changing event
Applications received after the deadline(s) will only be granted with either a life changing event or confirmation that the online application was submitted prior to the deadline.
- Harvard students and their dependents (student must be participating in the dental plan)
- Extension School students and their dependents (student must be participating in the dental plan, and contact their Student Financial Services Office to enroll)
- Affiliates are not eligible to participate in this dental plan
Dependents can be added during open enrollment or with a life changing event when the student is enrolled. There is an additional fee to add dependents. Enrollment and/or renewal is not automatic (for students or their dependents).
Documentation is required for each family member enrolled in the dental plan.
- Married spouse
- Dependent children (under the age of 26)
Beware: The Student Health Insurance Plan (BCBSMA) includes a dental benefit for members under the age of 19. Compare the Student Health Insurance Plan Summary to this optional Dental Blue plan to make an informed decision about enrolling.
- Complete and submit the dental application (with required documentation, if applicable) to Member Services. Extension students should submit their application to the Extension School.
- Member Services receives and processes your application.
- The cost of the plan is applied to your student bill.
- ID cards are mailed to the address on file with your school Registrar.
We require documentation for each family member enrolled in the dental plan. Documents must be in English and are only required for initial enrollment (and are not necessary when you renew dependents for subsequent terms). The Harvard Student Agency is a non-profit certified translation agency that can provide you with certified translations in 18 languages.
- Married spouse: marriage certificate or I20 form for international students
- Dependent children: Birth certificate, legal documentation of adoption or guardianship, or DS-2019 form for international students
Submit your completed dental application and documentation (if required) to:
HUSHP Member Services
75 Mt. Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Extension School student should return their application to the Extension School.
Charges are applied to your student bill for the full amount. The charges may not appear on your student bill for several weeks after the start of coverage. Purchasing coverage monthly is not available.
Rates for August 1, 2018 - July 31, 2019
|Student + 1 dependent||$1,047|
|Student + 2 or more dependents||$1,616|
Benefits and Coverage
This plan has a $1,500 plan-year maximum and includes a maximum rollover benefit that allows for additional dollars for future plan years.
- Dental Blue Benefits Summary
- Student Health Insurance Plan Summary for members under the age of 19 and enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan
|Preventive Benefit Group||Basic Benefit Group||Major Benefit Group|
|No Deductible||$50 per member/$150 per Family Plan Year Deductible||
$50 per member/$150 per Family Plan Year Deductible
|Full Coverage||60% Coverage||40% Coverage|
Please note: Orthodontics is not a covered benefit under this plan. For more detailed coverage information, including restrictions, review the Benefits Summary or contact Blue Cross Blue Shield at 1 (800) 257-8141 and reference group number 002348115.
Dental Blue members have the freedom to seek care from dentists who participate in the BCBS Dental Blue network or use out-of-network providers. However, if you use an out-of-network dentist your out-of-pocket costs will be higher. You may be balance billed for any difference between the dentist's actual charge and the allowed charge, whichever is less.
You should receive dental care from providers who participate in the BCBS Dental Blue network in order to receive the highest level of coverage.
Harvard Dental Service
114 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge
Schedule an appointment by calling (617) 495-2063
HSDM Dental Clinic
Longwood Medical area
Schedule an appointment by calling (617) 432-1434
Dental Blue network
Select “Dental Blue” network to find a provider in Massachusetts or Rhode Island
Select "Dentemax Network of Dentists" to find a provider nationwide
You may also call Blue Cross Blue Shield at 1 (800) 257-8141 and reference group number 002348115.
LIFE CHANGING EVENTS
Students can enroll in the dental plan after the open enrollment deadline(s) with a life changing event. We are unable to process applications received after the open enrollment deadline without a life changing event. Students can submit documentation within 30 days of the life changing event along with a completed enrollment form to Member Services. The coverage and cost are pro‐rated to the first day of the month of the event. Students may enroll dependents due to a life changing event only when the student is already enrolled.
- Legal adoption or legal guardianship: Legal documentation of adoption or guardianship, or DS-2019 form for international students
- Marriage: Marriage certificate or I20 form for international students
- Dependent entry into the country: A copy of the dependent's passport with the entry date stamped for when the dependent arrived into the United States
- Other dental insurance coverage ending: A copy of insurance termination letter
We are unable to cancel your dental enrollment for a refund after the effective date of coverage. You must submit your cancellation request prior to the start of coverage. Once coverage begins, we are unable to process a refund, and you may not appeal this policy.