Q: What happens to my insurance coverage if I am not a registered student?

A: If you are not registered for classes by 9/15 for the fall term or 3/01 for the spring term:

  • You are not eligible to purchase coverage.
  • The Student Health Fee and Student Health Insurance Plan will be removed from your student bill and the coverage will be cancelled retroactively to the start date of that term (8/1 or 2/1).
  • HUHS will bill you for any services that you use.

Q: When does my coverage expire?

A: Registered student: expires on July 31 for May graduates.
Student dependent, affiliate or an affiliate dependent: expires at the end of the term for which you purchased coverage (e.g., 8/1–1/31 for the fall term and 2/1–7/31 for the spring term).

Q: Can I extend my Harvard University Student Health Program (HUSHP) coverage after graduation?

A: It is not possible to extend HUSHP past commencement.

Q: Is COBRA available through the Harvard University Student Health Insurance Program?

A: The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986 (COBRA) is a federal mandate requiring employers to offer extension of health care benefits to their employees after termination of employment. The Harvard University Student Health Program is not an employer plan and therefore, COBRA is not available.

Q: Can I enroll in my parent’s insurance?

A: If you are under the age of 26, you may be eligible for coverage under your parent’s plan as a result of the dependent coverage provision of the new federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). PPACA requires private health insurers to allow dependents to remain on their parent’s plans through their 26th birthday. Parents of eligible dependents should contact their employers or insurance carriers for details.

Q: What is a pre-existing condition?

A: A pre-existing condition is a health condition that existed prior to your application for health insurance or enrollment on a new health plan. Examples of pre-existing conditions include pregnancy, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, diabetes, or asthma.

A pre-existing condition can affect your health insurance coverage and can trigger a health plan to deny coverage, impose a waiting period before coverage starts, or charge higher premiums and out-of-pocket expenses. If you are applying for insurance, some health insurance companies may accept you conditionally by providing a pre-existing condition exclusion period. This means that any condition for which you’ve been treated within the past six months, for example, may be excluded from insurance coverage. If you have a pre-existing condition, it is very important to investigate your health insurance options early.

Q: What are my options if I have a pre-existing condition?

A: Health plans offered through the Mass Health Connector will provide coverage of pre-existing conditions. For those moving outside of Massachusetts, a Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan has been established by the federal government and may be an option. For more information, visit's Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan.

Q: Is there anything I need to do prior to leaving campus?

A: Before you leave campus, please update your address with your school’s registrar’s office and HUSHP Member Services to ensure delivery of important documentation that may need to receive. If you are a post-doc affiliate, please update your address with your human resources department and HUSHP Member Services.

Q: I’m moving out of Massachusetts. Do all states have the same laws and regulations when it comes to health insurance?

A: All states do not have the same health insurance laws. To learn more about the health insurance laws and regulations in other states, visit

Q: Is there any documentation that I need when I apply for coverage?

A: You may need a “Certificate of Group Health Plan Coverage,” also known as Certificate of Creditable Coverage when applying for other coverage. A Certificate of Creditable Coverage is documentation provided by a health plan containing information about the length of time that a member had coverage through a particular insurer.

If you are/were enrolled in HUSHP Student Health Insurance Plan coverage, Blue Cross Blue Shield will automatically mail you this certificate once your coverage terminates. If you do not receive your Certificate of Creditable Coverage, contact Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts at 1 (800) 257-8141 to request another copy.

Q: Why am I receiving a 1099-HC form?

A: Massachusetts health care law requires most Massachusetts residents age 18 and older to have health insurance. The Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) requires health insurance companies and/or employers to provide subscribers with the 1099-HC form as evidence of health insurance coverage that meets the Massachusetts minimum credible coverage standards. You will need this form to complete Massachusetts state tax filings.

Q: Who will receive a 1099-HC form?

A: 1099-HC forms will be issued to subscribers of the HUSHP Student Health Insurance Plan (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts), and will list spouse and dependent information.
Students who waived the Student Health Insurance Plan coverage and are enrolled in a parent's insurance plan will need to contact their own plan for a 1099-HC form.

To request a copy of a previously generated 1099-HC form, please contact Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts’ Customer Service Department at 1 (800) 257-8141.

Q: What do I do if I don’t receive my 1099-HC form?

A: All 1099-HC forms for eligible subscribers will be post-marked by January 31. If you have not received a form by the first week of February, please call Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts’ Customer Service department at 1 (800) 257-8141.

If you still have questions about whether you are eligible or excluded, please refer to your tax advisor or the Massachusetts Department of Revenue at or call 1 (800) 392-6089.