Take advantage of savings and discounts that are available to you through the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and the Student Health Fee (SHF), and start saving today!
Student Health Insurance Plan
Provides hospital, specialty care coverage, and prescription drug coverage. There are savings and discount that are offered by BCBSMA, the Student Health Insurance Plan’s third-party administrator.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts - MyBlue
To view savings and discounts available to you through Blue Cross Blue shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA), login to the BCBSMA website and create a MyBlue account. BCBSMA will mail you a personal identification number (PIN) that you will use to access your account. For immediate access, contact Blue Cross Blue Shield at 866-822-0570 to request a PIN over the phone.
Once you create an account you will be able to view your claims, monitor deductibles and out-of-pocket costs, request a written estimate, and view special savings and discounts.
Use in-network providers
SHIP is administered by BCBSMA and is a PPO plan. If you seek care outside of HUHS, choose a provider in the "BCBS PPO network.” Familiarize yourself with plan benefits, limitations, and exclusions to avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs. Learn more about in-network providers.
Choose lower cost sharing hospitals
As a SHIP member, you are empowered to control your own out-of-pocket costs based on the hospital you choose for care. In Massachusetts, acute care hospitals are grouped into two different cost-sharing levels. When you choose lower cost sharing hospitals, you will pay less for certain services. Learn more about hospital choice cost sharing.
Weight Loss Reimbursement Benefit
With the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts weight loss reimbursement benefit, you or your family can receive up to $150 toward fees paid for a qualified weight-loss program. A qualified weight loss program is a hospital-based weight-loss program or a non-hospital-based weight loss program designated by BCBSMA.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts must receive your weight loss benefit application by March 31 of the following year for processing.
Qualified for weight loss reimbursement:
Participation fees for:
- Hospital-based programs and Weight Watchers® in-person.
- Weight Watchers® online and other non-hospital programs (in-person or online) that combine healthy eating, exercise, and coaching sessions with certified health professionals such as nutritionists, registered dietitians, or exercise physiologists.
Not qualified for weight loss reimbursement:
- One-time initiation or termination fees.
- Food, supplements, books, scales, or exercise equipment.
- Individual nutrition counseling sessions, doctor/nurse visits, lab tests, or other services that are covered benefits under your medical plan.
Programs offered at specialty clinics, health centers, and health spas do not qualify. BCBSMA must receive your weight loss benefit application by March 31 of the following year for processing. To learn more visit the Harvard University Student Health Program Handbook.
There are two ways to apply for the weight loss reimbursement:
The Student Health Insurance Plan reimburses up to $90 for one childbirth class for an enrolled, pregnant member and up to $45 for each refresher childbirth course.
Receive your reimbursement by sending your proof of payment, copy of your completion certificate, and childbirth claim form to:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
PO Box 986030
Boston, MA 02298
You will not be reimbursed if you do not complete the course, except when your delivery occurs before the course ends.
Ask about generic prescriptions. Using a generic medication instead of a brand name medication can save you money. Ask your doctor if there is a generic form of the medication you are being prescribed.
Student Health Fee
The Student Health Fee (SHF) covers most provider visits at any of the Harvard University Health Services (HUHS) campus clinics without a copayment. To ensure the lowest out-of-pocket costs, try to make HUHS your first stop for medical care. These services are available to you even if you waived the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
HUHS Campus Care
Make the most of the Student Health Fee (SHF) by utilizing HUHS clinics for medical care whenever possible. Some services include x-rays, physical therapy, urgent care, routine care, and an array of specialties. These services are covered as medically necessary and do not have a copayment or visit limit when using HUHS clinics.
HUHS Center for Wellness and Health Promotion
The Center for Wellness and Health Promotion at HUHS promotes wellbeing and offers student discounts on a variety of services including yoga, massage, acupuncture, workshops, meditation, peer education, and more. Visit the Center for Wellness to see how you can enhance your own wellbeing.
There are two options to save on acupuncture services:
- The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) covers acupuncture visits with a licensed acupuncturist. Visit limits and copayments apply. Learn more about this benefit.
- The Center for Wellness and Health Promotion at Harvard University Health Services offers students a discount on acupuncture (even if you waived SHIP). Acupuncture is commonly used for pain management, headaches, asthma, substance use treatment, nausea related to chemotherapy, weight control, smoking, gastrointestinal disorders, and more. See if acupuncture is right for you.
The Center for Wellness and Health Promotion at HUHS offers students a discount on chair and table massages. A massage is a great way to relax, unwind and help alleviate stress, minor back pain, and headaches.
There are several dental care options available to students. Review the options below to see what works best for you. If you do not wish to participate in a dental plan you may choose to receive care on a fee-for-service basis by a dentist of your choice.
- BCBSMA Dental Blue Plans (Optional): Harvard students are eligible to participate in one of the two Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA (BCBSMA) Dental Blue Plans offered. There is an additional cost to participate and the cost will be applied to your student bill. Learn more about enrollment, rates, plan benefits, and deadline(s) on our website.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine: Offers affordable dental care to Harvard students. To learn more about services and pricing please contact them directly. They are located in the Longwood Medical Area, Boston.