The Student Health Insurance Plan covers telemedicine video consults for both medical and mental health visits in three ways:
- The in-network provider is contracted with BCBS to offer telemedicine consultations to their patients
- The provider offers telemedicine consultations through Well Connection
- The provider is out-of-network; however, they use a HIPAA compliant platform to offer telemedicine consultations to their patients
Note, in all of the instances above, the provider must be licensed in the same state that the Student Health Insurance Plan member is located and seeking services.
Contact BCBS at 800-257-8141 to see if your in-network provider is contracted to offer telemedicine consultations. If your provider is out-of-network, confirm that they use a HIPAA compliant platform to offer telemedicine consultations.
Accessing telemedicine through Well Connection:
Well Connection is a platform that provides you access to live video consultation with a medical or behavioral health clinician. You can connect with a board-certified doctor in minutes, with a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Medical providers are accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for non-emergency care; behavioral health providers are available by appointment.
Telemedicine is for urgent care and not for routine care, nor a serious or life-threatening condition. Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room for serious or life-threating conditions.
- Receive care from the comfort of your home, office, or hotel room; it goes where you go
- No referral is needed to diagnose non-emergency conditions like sprained ankle, sore throat, or bronchitis and behavioral health
- You pay the same office-visit* copayment that they would pay when visiting a doctor in-person
- All visits are confidential and treated in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
*Office visit limits apply. View your plan benefit description for more information on your plan benefits.
How It Works:
- Download the Well Connection app to create an account
- Choose the type of service: medical or behavioral
- Pick an available provider