- Qualified same-sex partnership
- Unmarried dependent children (up to age 19)
Dependents must enroll each term or academic year; it is not automatic. Coverage is available in six month fixed terms (August 1-January 31 and February 1-July 31). Dependents must enroll by the deadlines or pay a late fee.
- September 30 for fall term (applications accepted starting June 1)
- February 28 for spring term (applications accepted starting December 1)
Life Changing Events
You may add dependents to your plan within 45 days of a life changing event during the year (or late fees apply). After your dependent is enrolled on your plan, the coverage and cost are pro-rated to the day of the event. You must submit documentation confirming one of these events to Member Services:
- A dependent’s entry into the country
- Other health insurance coverage ending
- Marriage or qualified same-sex partnership
- Birth of a child,* legal adoption, or legal guardianship
*When enrolling a newborn, we recommend the effective date of coverage should be the child's date of birth to avoid costly medical bills. This plan does not cover services rendered prior to the beginning date of the health insurance coverage.
We require documentation for each family member enrolled in the student’s plan. Documents must be in English and are only required for initial enrollment (and not necessary when you renew dependents for subsequent terms).
During open enrollment
You need to confirm your relationship to the dependent by submitting documentation to Member Services:
- Spouse: Marriage certificate or I20 form for international students
- Qualified same-sex partner: Copy of municipal registration of domestic partnership
- Dependent children: Birth certificate or statement of birth from hospital (for newborns), legal documentation of adoption or guardianship, or DS-2019 form for international students
Due to a life changing event
You may add dependents to your plan within 45 days of a life changing event:
- Birth of a child, legal adoption, or legal guardianship: Birth certificate or statement of birth from hospital (for newborns), legal documentation of adoption or guardianship, or DS-2019 form for international students
- Marriage or qualified same-sex partnership: Marriage certificate or I20 form for international students or a copy of municipal registration of domestic partnership for same-sex partners
- Other health insurance coverage ending: Copy of insurance termination of coverage letter
- Dependent entry into the country: A copy of the dependent’s passport, which includes the date stamp for when the dependent arrived into the United States
How to submit documents to Member Services
- Through the online enrollment application (accepted file types include: .pdf, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .tif, .tiff, and .png). Forms should be scanned and labeled before you start the online application. You are required to upload documents specific to each dependent, so you should save each file as a separate document.
- By mail, email, or dropping them off to Member Services after you have submitted the online application.
Rates and Payment
Dependent rates exclude the student charges. Dependents must purchase both the Student Health Fee and the Student Health Insurance Plan.
|Student Dependent Rates|| One Term
(fall or spring)
(full plan year)
Charges are applied to your student bill.
Late Fees and Cancellation Policy
Enrolling dependents after the open enrollment period is possible, but restrictions and late fees apply.
- The late fees are applied for each month after the enrollment deadline. These fees are in addition to the prorated dependent premium, and the increase is effective on the first of each month.
- Spouse: $200 (per month)
- First and Second Child: $125 (per child per month)
- Coverage is effective as of the date Member Services receives the completed enrollment form, and the premium will be prorated.
- HUSHP does not pay claims prior to the coverage effective date.
- All dependent enrollment rules still apply.
The fall enrollment deadline for dependents is September 30. On November 3, a student realizes that he forgot to enroll his spouse and then submits an enrollment form to Member Services. The student is charged a prorated premium, and a $400 penalty fee ($200 for October, and $200 for November). Claims prior to November 3 will not be paid by HUSHP, therefore these claims are the responsibility of the dependent.
A student may request a cancellation and refund of future term(s) of health insurance purchased for their dependent(s) through Member Services. Refunds are for future terms of health insurance only; refunds are not available after a term begins (fall start date August 1; spring start date February 1).
65+ years of age
Are you or a dependent at least 65 years of age or about to turn 65?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts requires all members who are at least 65 years of age (or approaching age 65) to complete a Medicare certification form and return it to HUSHP Member Services. Failture to submit this form results in a hold on your insurance coverage, and your claims are not paid.
The Medicare certification form can be mailed, emailed, faxed or delivered to:
HUSHP Member Services
75 Mt. Auburn Street, First Floor
Cambridge, MA 02138
Fax: (617) 496-6125