Dependents can enroll during open enrollment or with a life changing event. You must submit an online application each term or plan year.
Students that submit applications after the enrollment deadlines without a life changing event will be charged a late fee in addition to the cost of the insurance.
Coverage is available in fixed terms
|Coverage is available in fixed terms|
|August 1 – January 31||Fall term|
|February 1-July 31||Spring term|
|Open enrollment deadlines|
|June 1 - August 31||Fall term|
|December 1 - February 28||Spring term|
- Married spouse
- Dependent children (Children must be under the age of 26. Married children and the dependents of a child can enroll in coverage under the enrolled student’s membership.)
Documentation is required for each family member enrolled in the student’s plan.
- Married Spouse: marriage certificate or I20 form for international students
- Dependent children: Birth certificate or statement of birth from hospital (for newborns), legal documentation of adoption or guardianship, or DS-2019 form for international students
Documents must have the student name and the name of the dependent that is being added to the insurance.
Documents that are not in English must be officially translated and are only required for initial enrollment and not necessary when you renew dependents for subsequent terms. The Harvard Student Agencies can provide certified translations in 18 languages. You also have the option of using any qualified translating agency of your choosing.
Life Changing Events
You may add dependents to your plan within 45 days of a life changing event. The coverage and the cost will be pro-rated to the day of the event. Students that fail to submit appropriate documentation to support the life changing event will be charged a late fee.
- Entry into the country: A copy of the dependent’s passport, which includes the date stamp for when the dependent arrived into the United States
- Loss of other health insurance coverage: Copy of insurance termination of coverage letter
- Marriage: Marriage certificate or I20 form for international students
- Birth of a child, legal adoption, or legal guardianship*: Birth certificate or statement of birth from hospital (for newborns), legal documentation of adoption or guardianship, or DS-2019 form for international students
* When enrolling a child dependent due to a life- changing event we recommend that the effective date of coverage is the actual date of the event, (e.g. date of birth, date of adoption or legal guardianship). This plan does not cover services provided before the first date of coverage.
Example: Your spouse lost her private insurance and you want to add her to your plan after the open enrollment period. You must provide the following within 45 days of the event: Documentation from her insurance company supporting that she has lost coverage AND a copy of your marriage certificate. See “Required Documents” for more information.
Rates and Payment
Dependent rates exclude the student charges. Dependents must purchase both the Student Health Fee and the Student Health Insurance Plan. These rates reflect the Student Health Fee and the Student Health Insurance Plan. Purchasing just one part of the medical coverage is not an option. View rates
Please note: Once the term starts, coverage cannot be cancelled. Charges are applied to your student bill.
You may enroll dependents after the open enrollment period or after the 45 days allowed due to a life-changing event, but restrictions and late fees apply. We do not pay claims prior to the coverage effective date.
Late fees are applied for each month after the enrollment deadline or the date that the life changing event occurred. These fees are in addition to the prorated dependent premium, and the increase is effective on the first of each month.
|Spouse||$200 per month|
|First and second child||$125 per child, per month|
- Coverage is effective as of the date Member Services receives the completed enrollment form, and the premium will be prorated.
- HUSHP does not pay claims prior to the coverage effective date.
- All dependent enrollment rules still apply.
The fall enrollment deadline for dependents is August 31. On October 3, a student realizes that he forgot to enroll his spouse and then submits an enrollment form to Member Services. The student is charged a prorated premium, and a $400 penalty fee ($200 for September, and $200 for October). Claims prior to October 3 will not be paid by HUSHP, therefore these claims are the responsibility of the dependent.
HOW TO SUBMIT DOCUMENTS
At the time of enrollment
- Documents can be uploaded through the enrollment portal.
- Accepted file types include: .pdf, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .tif, .tiff, and .png).
- Scan and rename scanned documents before you start the online application.
- When enrolling more than one dependent with multiple documents, upload the documents for each dependent separately. Do not submit documents prior to completing the online enrollment.
Documents can also be mailed, emailed, faxed, or delivered to:
HUSHP Member Services
75 Mount Auburn Street, First floor
Cambridge, MA 02138
A student may request a cancellation of the Harvard University Student Health Program for their dependent(s) through Member Services. This request will cancel both parts of the insurance, the Student Health Fee and the Student Health Insurance Plan; the option to cancel only one part of the program is not available. The date we receive the cancellation form to cancel their dependent(s) coverage will determine their cancellation options. View cancellation policy and application.
65+ years of age
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts requires all members who are at least 65 years of age (or approaching age 65) to complete a Medicare certification form and return it to HUSHP Member Services. Failure to submit this form results in a hold on your insurance coverage, and your claims are not paid.
The Medicare certification form can be mailed, emailed, faxed or delivered to:
HUSHP Member Services
75 Mt. Auburn Street, First Floor
Cambridge, MA 02138
Fax: (617) 496-6125