Telemedicine is a digital health solution that connects the patient and clinician through real-time audio and video technology. This allows the patient and their clinician to see and hear each other through a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Telemedicine can be used as an alternative to traditional in-person care delivery and, in certain circumstances, can be used to deliver care such as diagnosis, consultation, treatment, education, care management, and self-management of patients.
There are a few different ways that a student can access this care:
Student Health Fee
The Student Health Fee covers telemedicine video consults for both medical and mental health visits with a Harvard University Health Services provider.
- Access to non-urgent care without a copayment or visit limits
- More than 10 departments at Harvard University Health Services are using telemedicine
Learn more about the services and convenience of using telemedicine at HUHS and get started today.
Student Health Insurance Plan
The Student Health Insurance Plan covers telemedicine video consults for both medical and mental health visits in three ways:
- The provider is contracted with BCBS to offer telemedicine consultations to their patients.
- The provider offers telemedicine consultations through Well Connection. Well Connection providers are in-network providers.
- The provider is out-of-network; however, they use a HIPAA-compliant platform to offer telemedicine consultations to their patients. The member’s cost will be higher in these cases.
Note: In all of the instances above, the provider must be licensed in the same state that the Student Health Insurance Plan member is located in. Visit limits, copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles may apply.
Contact BCBS at (800) 257-8141 to see if your provider is contracted to offer telemedicine consultations. If your provider is out-of-network, make sure to confirm that they use a HIPAA-compliant platform to offer telemedicine consultations.
Learn more about the services and convenience of using Well Connection.
Well Connection is a platform that provides you access to live video consultation with a medical or behavioral health clinician. You can connect with a board-certified doctor in minutes, with a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Medical providers are accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for non-emergency care; mental health providers are available by appointment.
Well Connection Highlights:
- Receive care from the comfort of your home, office, or hotel room; it goes where you go
- No referral is needed to diagnose non-emergency conditions like a sprained ankle, sore throat, or bronchitis and mental health
- You pay the same cost share that you would pay when visiting a doctor in-person
- Get confidential care, remotely
- Qualified practitioners rate 4.8/5 stars and average 15 years of experience
How It Works:
Members can access Well Connection by simply signing into their MyBlue account. You'll see Well Connection Video Visits under “My Care” in the navigation menu after signing in.